TESL 0170 - Practicum reflection #2


Another great lesson yesterday! A lot of things went well and as always there are some areas of improvement. Last lesson, I had reflected about getting to know the learners better so that I can make sure to use their names properly in class. I managed to do this and was able to use the learners names more during the lesson. During the class, the learners participated in a role-playing exercise in which one learner represented a parent and the other, their adult child. The story of the role-playing exercise was based upon the adult asking their parent if they can move back in. The learners were given a chance to write scripts for their role-playing assessment but conversation was meant to happen as naturally as possible. I was happy to see that many of the learners barely used their scripts and the conversation that took place was natural and flowed freely.

I am still having issues with timing. I am used to working at an elementary school where learners like to get work done as fast as possible. This means that I always overplan and think things will take less time, however when working with this group of adult learners, they are taking the work very seriously. This means that an activity that I think would take 15 minutes might take up to 30 minutes. I am still working with both my supportive teacher and through my reflections to get better with timing. 

Another challenge I faced during this class was some vocabulary issues. During the Think, Pair, Share portion of the class, learners struggled with some of the vocabulary.  However, after the vocabulary was more thoroughly explained, the learners did very well with the exercise. In the future, I would make sure to do a more thorough discussion of the relevant vocabulary prior to starting the Think, Pair, Share exercise. I am interested to see how my next teaching day will be going as I will be teaching two lessons that day. 

Vocabulary Presentation link:


Lesson plan:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 110 - Unit 4

TESL 100 - Unit 8 (Assessment) - "Practice test on video lecture"

TESL 110 - Grammar Activity