TESL 0170 - Practicum Reflection #1



Reflection #1
Teach Dice Ornament on Table

Teaching today was a little nerve-racking, however after a couple of minutes, I got into the swing of things and forgot all about my nerves. For the most part, the lesson went great. I had a few hiccups that I thought I covered up well, like the technology not connecting correctly even though I checked it in advance. I just kept talking through it while I fiddled with the computer. The listening activity that the learners’ were working on was tricky, as the speakers spoke very fast with a relatively technical word choice. I am glad that I followed my sponsor teacher’s suggestion of using the script when necessary. In this case, I believe it was necessary because the learners were having trouble understanding the information as it was fast paced. Learners’ were engaged during the lesson and I had the opposite problem of when I work with children. Children like to talk constantly and blurt out answers and yet with this class, they participate, but sometimes it takes time to get an answer. I am still trying to get to know who the learners are and this is one area I need to work on. I am also trying to figure out timing. I discussed this with my sponsor teacher before the lesson and today’s lesson gave me a better idea for timing. While I had expected 2 hours to be quite long, it went by so quickly that I definitely over-planned. These are things that I will continue to work on during the next few lessons.  I really enjoyed my experience.  

Prior to this lesson, the supportive teacher and I discussed my lesson and some of the comments in the lesson plan below are based on his suggestions.   

Vocabulary presentation:


Lesson plan: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 110 - Unit 4

TESL 100 - Unit 8 (Assessment) - "Practice test on video lecture"

TESL 110 - Grammar Activity