TESL - 130 Adapting a text


In my own classrooms, I think that it might be difficult to use this text. With the 6th graders (10-11 year olds), I think with some modification it could be possible, however with the 4th graders (8-9 year olds) I believe it would be very difficult. I say this because, the learners in my classroom, have not traveled much and many have never been on a trip without their families or even sleepovers at a friends place. They would not be able to relate to the text about studying abroad.  I would definitely need to modify the text as the vocabulary is too difficult for them. If this text were mandatory for my 6th grade class, I would heavily modify it, in terms of vocabulary and follow-up questions. The text itself is not too far above their reading level, but the questions and context is beyond their understanding. As for the fourth graders, it would be a text I could read to them, but not one that they could read themselves. From this text, we could springboard into discussions about different countries and nationalities. This would allow me to teach vocabulary surrounding the titles of nationalities and the different nations around the world (which we discuss in Social Studies).

Reading Skills Practice: Foreign exchange emails-exercises. (2015). British Council. Retrieved from http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/skills/reading-skills-practice/foreign-exchange-emails

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 110 - Unit 4

TESL 100 - Unit 8 (Assessment) - "Practice test on video lecture"

TESL 110 - Grammar Activity