TESL 100 - Unit 6 relfection pt.1


Unit 6 discusses the different types of techniques and questions that can be used in a classroom.  My personal preference is to focus on a controlled, open-ended technique for teaching that includes controlled questions.  I find this approach allows me to guide students towards the different topics they are meant to learn while also providing some leniency with how they get to the final goal.  This method keeps the students interested because they are not forced into a ‘one-size fits all’ approach and keeps them working in ways they find most interesting and what engages their brains the most.  However, an important part of this approach in my classroom is the use of classroom materials. I have to be prepared for many possible ways in which students will work and how they will interact with the topic I am teaching them.  Overall, I find this method to be very effective but I think it does require some extra work in the preparation and class materials aspect of planning.

Brown, D. & Lee H. (2015). Teaching by Principles: An interactive approach to language pedagogy. White Plains, NY: Pearson Education, Inc.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 110 - Unit 4

TESL 100 - Unit 8 (Assessment) - "Practice test on video lecture"

TESL 110 - Grammar Activity