TESL 110 - Unit 2

As an elementary school instructor, I think about the different methods of teaching grammar based on how I believe my learners will best understand it and what methods will keep their attention and help them to internalize the information.  As a result, I tend to prefer more communicative approaches to teaching grammar with a combination of both inductive and deductive learning approaches. Experiential learning is a major part of my teaching style and informs many of the lessons I plan.  I like to give students the opportunity to make decisions and experiment with whatever field we are discussing as a way to get their minds engaged and their interests peaked. However, I do still see the importance of me presenting them information that they may not otherwise be able to learn through strictly experiential learning.  This is why I prefer to combine deductive and inductive reasoning in my classroom rather than placing an emphasis upon one over the other.

There are many different of methods that have evolved over the years and I believe it is important to acknowledge these when it comes to discussing a specific method. Many methods have evolved and mutated which have created different methods and it is important to note that you are constantly changing methods as you teach. Not many teachers stick with one approach or method to a topic. This also depends on the learners and it is important to consider the learners’ needs when it comes to how you approach the lesson.

Resources:

Sikorzynska, A. (1995). Discover it yourself. Warsaw: Wydawnictiwa Szkolne i Pedagogiczne.

Thornbury, S. (1999). How to teach grammar. Essex, England: Pearson Education Limited.

Thornbury, S. (1999). How to teach grammar from rules. In Harmer, J. (Eds). How to teach grammar (pp. 31-33). Harlow: Longman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TESL 110 - Unit 4

TESL 100 - Unit 8 (Assessment) - "Practice test on video lecture"

TESL 110 - Grammar Activity